History of Our School

Click here for History Timeline

 

St Saviour's Primary School is the oldest Catholic school in Toowoomba and the Toowoomba Diocese. It was opened in 1863 and originally called St Patrick's Church School. It was a combined church and school on the corner of James and Neil Streets The school was originally staffed by lay teachers until Bishop Quinn of Brisbane made a decision to send Sisters of Mercy to teach in the school in 1873. Father Dunne, the parish priest of St Patrick's, was not pleased with this decision and Miss Kate Reardon remained in charge of the school for some time.

The church school was extended in 1880 and destroyed by fire soon after the renovations were completed. The church school was rebuilt on the site. In 1899 the school was moved to its present site to make way for the new church. In 1914 a new school building was erected facing Lawrence Street.

St Saviours School circa 1915

In 1938 Bishop Roper renamed the school The Cathedral School. In 1959 the school was renamed St Saviour's School, taking the name of the convent where the Sisters of Mercy lived.

In 1974 the St Saviour's Preschool was opened and in 1976 the present school building was built. In 1985 the school was extended to include a library, multi-purpose room and administration area. In 2002, an Early Education Unit consisting of two classrooms was opened to cater for the Prep Year.

In 1994, Mr Peter Lynam replaced Sr Sue O'Neill rsm as the first lay principal since 1874. The Mercy sisters continued to have a presence in the school until 2000. Four Sisters of Mercy still reside at St Saviour's Convent.


History Timeline

1863 St Patrick’s Church and School opened - called St Patrick’s Church School  (cnr of James and Neil Street)
1869 Reopened as St Patrick’s School , 47students with Miss Katherine Brady as headmistress
1870 Katherine Brady resigned from her position and was replaced by Miss Kate Reordan ; 170 students
1873 Sisters of Mercy arrive in Toowoomba.  Later this year, Kate Reordan enters the convent in Brisbane (All Hallows).
1874 Sr Mary Rose appointed as Headmistress
1880 New St Patrick’s School built in the grounds facing Lawrence St.  The former church/school burnt down in June 1880.  The new St Patrick’s Church is then built onto completed school building (forming a T-shape section.)
1873 to 1913 Primary School only - St Patrick’s School
1914 Secondary School established - St Patricks Roman Catholic High School
1938 School name change to St Saviour’s - separation of Primary and Secondary
1948 Primary School was named The Cathedral School - remains part of the parish
1958 Records show that the school is still called The Cathedral School at this time
1965 Records show that the school is called The St Patrick’s School at this time
1976 Records show that the school is called St Saviour’s Primary School at this time
2012 St Saviour’s Primary School – Prep to Year 7 - Coeducational
2013 150th Year Celebrations
2014 St Saviour's Primary - Prep to Year 7 Coeducational Education. Last year of grade 7 in Primary School
2015 Prep - Year 6 Coeducational

  back to top

ST SAVIOURS CATHOLIC PRIMARY SCHOOL
14 Lawrence Street (PO Box 1145), Toowoomba  Q  4350
Principal: Madonna Sleba

Phone: 07 4637 1555  |  Fax: 07 4637 1556  |  Email: ssps@twb.catholic.edu.au
© St Saviour's Primary School                                                                                                                                                                Website by School Site Solutions