Welcome to
St Saviour's Primary School Toowoomba


The History of St Saviour's Primary School

St Saviour's Primary School is the oldest Catholic school in Toowoomba and the Toowoomba Diocese. It was built in 1863, opened 1864 and originally called St Patrick's Church School. It was a combined church and school on the corner of James and Neil Streets The school was originally staffed by lay teachers until Bishop Quinn of Brisbane made a decision to send Sisters of Mercy to teach in the school in 1873. Father Dunne, the parish priest of St Patrick's, was not pleased with this decision and Miss Kate Reardon remained in charge of the school for some time.

The church school was extended in 1880 and destroyed by fire soon after the renovations were completed. The church school was rebuilt on the site. In 1899 the school was moved to its present site to make way for the new church. In 1914 a new school building was erected facing Lawrence Street.

school 1915

In 1938 Bishop Roper renamed the school The Cathedral School. In 1959 the school was renamed St Saviour's School, taking the name of the convent where the Sisters of Mercy lived.

In 1974 the St Saviour's Preschool was opened and in 1976 the present school building was built. In 1985 the school was extended to include a library, multi-purpose room and administration area.

In 1994, Mr Peter Lynam replaced Sr Sue O'Neill rsm as the first lay principal since 1874. The Mercy sisters continued to have a presence in the school until 2000.

In 2004, an Early Education Unit consisting of two classrooms was opened to cater for the Prep Year.

The current Principal, Mr Sam Hannant was appointed in August 2023.

History Timeline


St Patrick’s Church and School was built - called St Patrick’s Church School  (cnr of James and Neil Street)


First students attend St Patrick's Church School


Reopened as St Patrick’s School , 47students with Miss Katherine Brady as headmistress


Katherine Brady resigned from her position and was replaced by Miss Kate Reordan ; 170 students


Sisters of Mercy arrive in Toowoomba.  Later this year, Kate Reordan enters the convent in Brisbane (All Hallows).


Sr Mary Rose appointed as Headmistress


New St Patrick’s School built in the grounds facing Lawrence St.  The former church/school burnt down in June 1880.  The new St Patrick’s Church is then built onto completed school building (forming a T-shape section.)

1873 to 1913

Primary School only - St Patrick’s School


Secondary School established - St Patricks Roman Catholic High School


School name change to St Saviour’s - separation of Primary and Secondary


Primary School was named The Cathedral School - remained part of the parish


Records show that the school was still called The Cathedral School at this time


Records show that the school is called The St Patrick’s School at this time


Records show that the school is called St Saviour’s Primary School at this time


St Saviour’s Primary School – Prep to Year 7 - Coeducational


150th Year Celebrations


St Saviour's Primary - Prep to Year 7 Coeducational Education. Last year of Year 7 in Primary School


Prep - Year 6 Coeducational


Additional Preparatory Classroom built


Major refurbishment of Administration, Year One Classrooms and Music Room